Malaseb Medicated Shampoo
Dermcare Malaseb Medicated Shampoo is registered to treat Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and is an aid in the treatment of Dermatophytosis in pets.
Seborrhoeic Dermatitis is a skin infection involving bacteria (Staphylococcus) and yeast (Malassezia). Dermatophytosis is a fungal infection which is more commonly known as “ringworm”.
- Kills the micro-organisms, helping to keep the numbers of yeast and bacteria at manageable levels.
- Removes excess scale and oils, commonly produced when the skin is infected.
- Removes allergens such as pollens, which can be present on the coat or skin, causing irritation.
In the case of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, Malaseb should be used twice weekly when the infection is active. Once the infection has resolved, it can be used weekly as a maintenance shampoo and preventative.
In the case of ringworm, Malaseb should be used twice weekly in conjunction with systemic treatment. Therapy is typically needed for 8 to 12 weeks.
Dermatophytosis is a contagious fungal disease affecting the skin and coat of pets.
Dermcare Malaseb kills infective spores on the coat. This helps to prevent the spread of the disease and reduces environmental contamination by reducing shedding of spores from affected animals. Ringworm in cats is usually a generalised skin disease. This means that although you may only see a few localised lesions on the skin, the infective spores may be present over the whole coat meaning that the whole body needs to be washed.
The use of Malaseb in conjunction with a systemic antifungal reduces the time to clinical resolution when compared with using a systemic antifungal alone.
Malaseb should be used twice weekly during treatment of dermatophytosis. Treatment can take up to 8-12 weeks. It is important to note that young children or people with a compromised immune system may be at a greater risk of contracting the disease. If you have an animal that has been diagnosed with or is suspected to have dermatophytosis, please discuss this with your doctor.
- Wet the animal thoroughly with clean water
- Apply Dermcare Malaseb shampoo to your pet at several points and massage into the coat.
- Always make sure the coat is thoroughly wet before applying Malaseb, this will help to achieve the required lather.
- Using a sponge may assist with producing a lather and with penetration through the coat. The sponge also holds water which again helps to ensure the coat is adequately wet during application.
- 50ml of Dermcare Malaseb would be adequate to treat a 30kg, medium hair length dog and 7-10 ml would be adequate for an adult cat.
- Leave the shampoo on for 10 minutes. Ensure you pet is supervised during this time to avoid ingestion or inhalation of the shampoo
- A damp cloth, with a little diluted foam can be used to clean the face of both cats and dogs.
- Whilst bathing cats is never easy, many will tolerate water better if it is not running. Using a 3 bucket technique, where all buckets are filled with warm water can help. The cat is dunked (not including head) into the first bucket and shampoo applied, then wrapped in a towel for the 10 minutes to stay warm and prevent licking foam. Once the 10 minutes is up the cat is sequentially dunked into the first, then second then remaining buckets to rinse the coat.
- Use with caution around eyes. If shampoo enters animal’s eye, flush thoroughly with clean water. Seek veterinary advice if eye changes are observed
- Pets should not be left unattended during the recommended 10 minute shampoo contact time as licking or inhaling shampoo foam may result in irritation of the gastrointestinal or respiratory tracts.
- This product is not recommended for use in rabbits or species other than dogs or cats
Safety directions: Will irritate the eyes and skin. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. When using the product wear rubber gloves, If product enters eye, wash it out immediately with water. Wash hands after use First aid: If poisoning occurs, contact a doctor or Poisons Information centre. Phone Australia 131126. If swallowed, do NOT induce vomiting. Give a glass of water. Storage instructions: Store below 30℃ (room temperature)